Fun Bot Lab Is Growing! We seek passionate workers who love LEGO and believe in our mission to help kids have the best summer of their life at our fantastic camps.
For offseason staff, we always look for candidates who also have an open summer schedule and would be a good fit with our summer staff when we crank it up and expand into an amazing summer festival of robotics fun!
For summer staff, we are seeking passionate summer camp teachers and counselors who love kids, summer camp & technology and have a passion for teaching the key skills of STEM. We seek candidates who thoroughly know the technology skills that they are teaching, have had indications that they are good teachers (either with previous teaching experience or with experiences working with others), and who love helping kids reach their full potential.
Don’t see any position open that fits your skill set but want to contribute? Pick the closest one and tell us about yourself in the comments section, or Contact Us to get in touch.
Full-Time Summer Position
Do you love kids and the prospect of spending the summer helping them learn to build and program robots, and create digital media in an exciting camp environment?
Fun Bot Lab is looking for Group Leaders: camp counselors age 18 or older that will be able to form a leadership relationship with a group of eager young campers at an exciting robotics camp this summer. Group Leaders will be assigned to take charge of a group of about 16 campers, guiding & helping them as they attend robotics, programming, and digital media workshops each day.
Candidates must be personable, outgoing, organized, reliable, and totally comfortable with leading, communicating, and getting the best camper behavior out of each member their group. Fun Bot Lab campers are smart and curious and are filled with excitement at building with LEGO & making movies…..they will be a delight to work with!
Our camps are held in McLean and Arlington VA, so candidates must have their own reliable transportation to their camp location. You do not have to be an expert in robotics or moviemaking to be a group leader, but should be able to relate to the campers by being as enthusiastic to work with LEGO NXT/EV3 robotics and stop motion digital media as they are.
Group leaders MUST have documented training and/or experience supervising kids in groups, and MUST be at least 18 years old by the first day of camp.
Candidates must strongly commit to working at Fun Bot Lab for the full Summer 2018 season.
Micro Bots Group Leader
Full-Time Summer Position
Do you love 5- and 6-year-old kids and the prospect of helping them use LEGO® to learn engineering, tell stories, and have a super-fun summer experience?
Fun Bot Lab is looking for leaders for our Mini Bots program! Candidates must be available for all Mini Bots sessions during the Summer 2017 season.
Mini Bots Group Leaders will be assigned to take charge of a group of a group of 12 rising Kindergartners and First Graders, leading them through lots of fun activities including building and engineering using LEGO®, storytelling using iPads, arts & crafts, outdoor play, and more!
Candidates must be personable, outgoing, organized, reliable and totally comfortable with leading a group of 5- and 6-year-olds through a full-day of camp activities. Fun Bot Lab campers are smart and curious love creating and telling stories; they will be a delight to work with!
Our camp is held in McLean and Arlington VA, so candidates must have their own reliable transportation to their camp location.
Candidates MUST have documented training and/or experience working with kids in groups, and MUST be 18 years old by the first day of camp.
Prior Kindergarten or First Grade teaching experience or working with 5- or 6-year-olds in groups is highly desirable.
This is a position using LEGO® and iPads in creative projects, so candidates should be comfortable and enthusiastic at the prospect of with working with LEGO®, LEGO® We-Do, and iPads. Bring your enthusiasm and we will help provide the training!
Full-Time Summer Position
Do you love kids and the prospect of helping them learn robots, digital media and creative technology in an exciting camp environment?
Fun Bot Lab is looking for a Spirit Leaders: young camp counselors that will be able to form a leadership relationship with a group of eager young campers at an exciting robotics camp this summer. Each spirit leader will be tasked with assisting all the campers with Robotics and Digital Media instruction while also generating as much camp spirit and enthusiasm as possible throughout the camp! These are paid positions with lots of responsibilities and promotion potential!
Spirit Leaders fill many important roles at Fun Bot Lab, including:
- Workshop Assistant in Building, Programming, or Digital Media Lab
- Outdoor Adventures Assistant
- Assistant leader in the Micro Bots (rising Kindergarten and rising 1st grade) camper groups
- Flex Assistant helping out all over camp
Candidates must be smart, focused, organized, reliable, and totally comfortable with leading, communicating, and using best practices to get consistently awesome camper behavior out of their group. Our camps are held in Arlington, Annandale, and McLean VA, so candidates must have access to consistent & reliable transportation. You should be totally into robots, lego, making creative movies and helping kids have a fantastic summer with their creative ideas.
Applicants for this position must be over 16 years of age by June 25, 2018.
Spirit leaders have an important and vital role at Fun Bot Lab as kids count on them everyday for leadership and guidance, so candidates must strongly commit to working at Fun Bot Lab for the full Summer 2018 season.
Full-Time Summer Position
Fun Bot Lab’s workshop leaders are charged with infusing our innovative learning environments with a sense of wonder, discovery & possibility. We are looking for qualified candidates to run the following workshops:
- NXT & EV3 Robotics Programing Workshop
- LEGO Robotics Design and Engineering Workshop
- Digital Media with LEGO Stop Motion Workshop
Fun Bot Lab requires campers in our Prime program to rotate through each workshop once a day so we are focused on hiring the best possible people to bring these subjects alive for all our campers. The boys & girls in our program are smart, confident & brimming with creative ideas and solutions… and looking for a role model to help lead the way!
The successful candidate for this position will comfortable with both teaching workshops and training & supervising group leaders to teach the materials. He or she must be a person who will bring a deep passion and sense of mission and focus to either robotics, programming or stop-motion video production in our summer camps in McLean and Arlington, VA.
Successful workshop leaders are able to both establish a critical mentoring and guiding relationship with their students to help them solve problems, as well as know how to break ideas down into intermediate solvable steps using a workshop lesson plans and their own creative ideas.
For the highly qualified candidate who can commit to working for 7 weeks at Fun Bot Lab this summer, the Workshop Leader position offers excellent compensation and a unique opportunity to shape and drive instruction at the best camp in the greater DC area!
Applicants for this position must be over 18 years of age by June 25, 2018.
Candidates for this position should have the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Experience teaching kids in a classroom, coaching, workshop and/or after school environment
- Experience (either through formal coursework or as a side project) with the specific skills of the workshop:
- For the Programming Workshop: Knowledge of LEGO® robotics, particularly NXT 2.0 & EV3 systems, Bluetooth connections, various aftermarket sensors, labview software, firmware, and creative possibilities of their construction and the programming that goes into it.
- For the LEGO® Robotics Design and Engineering Workshop: Knowledge of LEGO® robotics and a talent & affinity for building all manner of creative robotic inventions, along with a knowledge of general engineering principles and methods of demonstrating these principles.
- For the Digital Media with LEGO® Stop Motion Workshop: Experience and enthusiasm with using digital media of all kinds, including filmmaking, photo editing, stop motion movie making, GIF creation, and image editing, along with knowledge of the principles of storytelling/storyboarding, and enthusiasm for learning new technologies.
- A natural connection and affinity for teaching and mentoring young boys & girls.
- Ability to work well and coordinate with other teachers, counselors and staff.
- Fun, creative, camp-like spirit.
- A can-do attitude and mission-driven sense to set up and complete all tasks related to setting up, organizing and breaking down the materials in your workshop.
- Ability to model and demonstrate all specific skills in teaching techology workshops from grades 2-8.
Summer Aftercare Leader
Part-Time Summer Position
Fun Bot Lab, is looking for camp Aftercare Leaders to work daily from 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM on weekdays for the summer of 2018. Aftercare is provided in our large gym and attached rooms and is comprised of fun activities for campers as they wind down after a busy day of camp.
The Aftercare experience at Fun Bot Lab is meant to be fun, light, and flexible, depending on the campers’ needs. Some kids are ready to shoot hoops, while others are ready to lounge and relax. The job of the Aftercare Leader is to supervise the kids, help them transition to Aftercare, and to make sure everyone is happy. This is a perfect job for people with morning responsibilities looking for steady work in the afternoon with a growing and dynamic summer camp. We have locations in McLean and Arlington, VA.
We are looking for candidates that love kids, have had experience working with kids in groups, and are excited to be in charge of a great group of campers!
Job responsibilities include:
- Arriving on time at camp each day at 2:30 PM to check in with the Site Director
- Checking campers into aftercare
- Providing a light snack to campers
- Supervising play in the gym and attached rooms during aftercare hours
- Checking each camper out as they are picked up from camp
- Communicating and representing Fun Bot Lab Core Values to parents at the time of pickup
- Checking out the last camper and performing final checklist to shut down camp
Job Requirements: Candidates must:
- Be over 18 by the first day of camp
- Have at least one semester/summer of experience working with kids in groups (as a camp counselor or assistant counselor, teacher’s assistant, coach or coach’s assistant, or similar position.)
- Have access to a car to come to work each day
- Be able to pass a background check
- Have or be able to get CPR and First Aid certification
- Be available and willing to participate in additional training in June
- Be able to commit to working the entire duration of the Summer 2018 camp season
Media & Communications Assistant
Full-Time Summer Position
Fun Bot Lab is searching for Media & Communications Assistants to help with the organization and execution of Northern Virginia’s coolest robotics & media camp!
Candidates should love kids & camp, and be highly organized and flexible. The Media & Communications Assistant will help with standard admin duties, such as filing & organizing, take charge of the camp’s social media accounts, and also lead our team in communicating our campers’ fun experiences to their parents!
We’re looking for someone who absolutely loves organization! A day at Fun Bot Lab involves a steady stream of photos and videos of great camp moments, including: awesome camper-built robots, LEGO® games and challenges, triumphant moments of camper success, camper-made stop motion movies, and more! A successful candidate will be excited to make order out of chaos, and share these special moments with our Fun Bot Families!
Fun Bot Lab is a great place to work – we have a fun, young staff that loves what they do and is dedicated to helping each camper have a fantastic summer camp experience.
The Office and Media Assistant plays a vital role in making camp run smoothly, so candidates must strongly commit to working at Fun Bot Lab for the full Summer 2018 season.
Digital Media and Video Specialist
Contract Summer Position
Do you have a passion for and proficiency in digital media production, (particularly iMovie and Final Cut Pro X)? Can you take hold of a video production pipeline with multiple camper movies and rapidly edit, add soundtracks, title and help upload them to the web? Did you love to make video projects and stop motion videos when you were a kid? Do you love LEGO? Can you create, excite, motivate and teach kids what you know and love?
Fun Bot Lab is searching for mature and focused camp video specialists with core skills in digital video editing in iMovie or final Final Cut Pro X to help us run our camp’s well-known LEGO® Stop-Motion Video Lab.
This is a part-time, summer-stipend position with four distinct work periods. During each three-day work period, you will be working on the final editing process of multiple different short 20 – 30 second student films created in our stop motion movie lab and shared on a drop box folder. The process will involve editing and trimming the film and collaborating with our campers to add voice overs, music, sound, and other camper-inspired effects.
Our campers put a lot of effort into their stop-motion creations, and this position is a key part of the production pipeline, therefore candidates must commit to working all of the above dates and take responsibility for making all of the camper movies the best they can be.
Candidates for this position should have the following skills and experience:
- Experience using imovie, final cut pro
- Experience or ability to quickly familiarize oneself with imovie for ipad and Stop Motion Studio on iPad
- A sense of quick & efficient production to guide multiple campers through a 3-day production process resulting in a completed short film or movie
- Ability to collaborate and work with others
- A passion for teaching and mentoring kids
- Experience with teaching or coaching kids in a classroom, workshop, or camp setting
Many thanks to the 501st Legion for providing the guest Storm Troopers pictured above!